Health and Saftey
The health and safety of our employees is paramount. In addition to meeting that fundamental obligation, we strive to foster a culture that thrives on diversity, equity and inclusion, and operate our business as a good corporate citizen that supports our communities.
TimkenSteel commits to being a safe and good place to work and seeks to achieve and maintain industry-leading safety performance through our Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recordable rates and lost-time accident rates. A safety metric is included in the annual incentive compensation plan for all salaried employees. We aspire to achieve zero workplace injuries and are committed to improving our safety record year-over-year.
Our global Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Policy guides our approach to safety. We are committed to continuously improving our EHS performance by fostering cooperation among employees, company leaders and government. Every TimkenSteel employee and contractor is responsible for understanding and supporting the policy. We help them do this successfully through education, training, evaluation and enforcement.
(1) Total Recordable Injury Rate is defined as OSHA recordable incidents x 200,000 / hours worked
(2) Lost Time Injury Rate is defined as OSHA days away from work cases x 200,000 / hours worked
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Our commitment to diverse perspectives fuels our success and has enabled us to deliver innovative solutions throughout our history. A diverse workforce and equitable, inclusive, engaging culture are keys to our continued success.
We are committed to diversity at all levels of our organization. 44% of our Board members are women or ethnically diverse.
We foster a culture that lends a variety of perspectives and expertise to our operations and reflects the communities in which we operate. Our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) provide networking, personal growth and professional development opportunities. Any TimkenSteel employee is welcome to join our ERGs:
- Multicultural Association of Professionals (MAP): Fosters development through multicultural understanding to facilitate business excellence.
- STEPS: Encourages all employees to maximize their total wellbeing: physical, emotional, financial and emotional health.
- Veterans Empowering TimkenSteel (VETS): Recognizes and integrates veterans with all TimkenSteel employees, with a focus on building and developing a stronger workforce committed to excellence and quality by amplifying the voice of veterans within the company.
- Women’s Integration Network (WIN): Offers growth opportunities for all TimkenSteel employees, with a focus on helping women share information, best practices, education and experience.
- Young Professionals’ Network (YPN): Motivates young professionals to pursue roles in leadership, build leadership skills and apply those skills to achieve business results.
Making a difference in our communities is part of our culture. We do this in multiple ways: by providing employment opportunities and supporting economic growth while fostering dynamic places to live and work; supporting education to help equip young people in our communities to realize their potential; and remaining a leader in workplace giving and employee volunteerism.
We have existing relationships with local chapters of established charitable organizations, such as Habitat for Humanity, United Way and YWCA, which we support throughout the year. Our ERGs regularly give back in ways that align with their mission. For example, WIN partners with local schools to educate and empower students, especially girls and young women, to pursue manufacturing and STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) careers.